Ellen Hopkins - Censorship Bites

Ellen Hopkins - Censorship Bites

I've been so busy getting the teachers and their technology ready for the kids, that I've completely neglected my blog and Twitter. And look what I'm missing! Ellen Hopkins is, by far, the favorite author in our library. When all the copies of her books are in, they take up two shelves; but during the school year, those shelves are always empty. I've mentioned before that as a librarian, I abhor censorship. One of my favorite quotes: "You’re entitled to your own opinions. You’re not entitled to your own facts.", variously attributed to Daniel Moynihan and James Schlesinger. Our students are old enough to look at all sides, use the upbringing their parents have given them, and make good decisions. I trust in them to do that, but the decisions will be faulty if they don't have as much material as possible to work with.