For the love of reading

In "Angela's Ashes", Frank McCourt says, "I don't know what it means and I don't care because it's Shakespeare and it's like having jewels in my mouth when I say the words." There are some writers that I love to read because their words seem like jewels. Maya Angelou is an example. Here, she reads one of her poems: "And Still I Rise" Oscar Wilde is another. How can you choose just one of his quotes? How about this one? "My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's." Here are a few more: Oscar Wilde Quotes Who are the authors whose words seem like jewels in the mouth to you?

But then, there are books where I get so wrapped up in the story, I don't pause to decide whether it's good writing or not (although it frequently is). I read different types of stories for different reasons, but in the interest of keeping this post from rambling on and on, I'll just mention a couple.

As a child, I loved the Wizard of Oz books, and read every one in the Safford Public Library. They were my first experience with what I call road trip books. There are road trip movies, and then there are road trip books. The scene is constantly changing and fascinating characters come and go. The most recent road trip book I read and thoroughly enjoyed was "Going Bovine" by Libba Bray. Although I haven't read "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" in many, many years, that's what it made me think of. Plus, I've always been a fan of snarky humor. Tell me about your favorite road trip book.

As an adolescent, I loved Judy Blume books. She may have been from New Jersey, and I was raised in Arizona, but I could relate. She KNEW what it was like. Reading Sarah Dessen books remind of that. She just gets it. What author really speaks to you and why?

And, don't even get me started on fantasy/paranormal/science fiction, or that whole set of genres. We can leave that for the next post.